HIPAA PRIVACY ACT
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES HOW HEALTH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW
YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
OUR LEGAL DUTY
- We are required by applicable federal and state law to maintain the privacy of your health information. We are also required to give you this Notice about our privacy practices, our legal duties, and your rights concerning your health information. We must follow the privacy practices that are described in this Notice while it is in effect. This Notice takes effect November 1, 2021, and will remain in effect until we replace it.
- We reserve the right to change our privacy practices and the terms of this Notice at any time, provided such changes are permitted by applicable law. We reserve the right to make the changes in our privacy practices and the new terms of our Notice effective for all health information that we maintain, including health information we created or received before we made the changes. Before we make a significant change in our privacy practices, we will change this Notice and make the new Notice available upon request.
- You may request a copy of our Notice at any time. For more information about our privacy practices, or for additional copies of this Notice, please contact us using the information listed at the end of this Notice.
USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION
We use and disclose health information about you for treatment, payment, and healthcare operations. For example:
- Treatment: We may use or disclose your health information to a physician or other healthcare provider providing treatment to you.
- Payment: We may use and disclose your health information to obtain payment for services we provide to you.
- Insurance: If you are paying out of pocket for treatment, you may request that our office not disclose treatment information for these services to a health plan.
- Healthcare Operations: We may use and disclose your health information in connection with our healthcare operations. Healthcare operations include quality assessment and improvement activities, reviewing the competence or qualifications of healthcare professionals, evaluating practitioner and provider performance, conducting training programs, accreditation, certification, licensing, or credentialing activities.
- Your Authorization: In addition to our use of your health information for treatment, payment or healthcare operations, you may give us written authorization to use your health information or to disclose it to anyone for any purpose. If you give us an authorization, you may revoke it in writing at any time. Your revocation will not affect any use or disclosures permitted by your authorization while it was in effect. Unless you give us written authorization, we cannot use or disclose your health information for any reason except those described in this Notice.
- To Your Family and Friends: We must disclose your health information to you, as described in the Patient Rights section of this Notice. We may disclose your health information to a family member, friend, or other person to the extent necessary to help with your healthcare or with payment for your healthcare, but only if you agree that we may do so.
- Persons Involved In Care: We may use or disclose health information to notify, or assist in the notification of (including identifying or locating) a family member, your personal representative or another person responsible for your care, of your location, your general condition, or death. If you are present, then prior to use or disclosure of your health information, we will provide you with an opportunity to object to such uses or disclosures. In the event of your incapacity or emergency circumstances, we will disclose health information based on a determination using our professional judgment disclosing only health information that is directly relevant to the person’s involvement in your healthcare. We will also use our professional judgment and our experience with common practice to make reasonable inferences of your best interest in allowing a person to pick up filled prescriptions, medical supplies, x-rays, or other similar forms of health information.
- Marketing/Fundraising Health-Related Services: We will not use your health information for marketing communications or fundraising activities without your written authorization.
- Required by Law: We may use or disclose your health information when we are required to do so by law.
- Abuse or Neglect: We may disclose your health information to appropriate authorities if we reasonably believe that you are a possible victim of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence or the possible victim of other crimes. We may disclose your health information to the extent necessary to avert a serious threat to your health or safety or the health or safety of others.
- National Security: We may disclose to military authorities the health information of Armed Forces personnel under certain circumstances. We may disclose to authorized federal officials health information required for lawful intelligence, counterintelligence, and other national security activities. We may disclose to correctional institution or law enforcement official having lawful custody of protected health information of inmate or patient under certain circumstances.
- Appointment Reminders: We may use or disclose your health information to provide you with appointment reminders (such as voicemail messages, postcards, or letters.)
- Access: You have the right to look at or get copies of your health information, with limited exceptions. You may request that we provide copies in a format other than photocopies; electronic. We will use the format you request unless we cannot practicably do so. (You must make a request in writing to obtain access to your health information. You may obtain a form to request access by using the contact information listed at the end of this Notice. You may also request access by sending us a letter to the address at the end of this Notice.)
- Disclosure Accounting: You have the right to receive a list of instances in which we or our business associates disclosed your health information for purposes, other than treatment, payment, healthcare operations and certain other activities, for the last 6 years, but not before April 14, 2003. If you request this accounting more than once in a 12-month period, we may charge you a reasonable, cost-based fee for responding to these additional requests.
- Restrictions: You have the right to request that we place additional restrictions on our use or disclosure of your health information. We are not required to agree to these additional restrictions, but if we do, we will abide by our agreement (except in an emergency).
- Alternative Communication: You have the right to request that we communicate with you about your health information by alternative means or to alternative locations. (You must make your request in writing.) Your request must specify the alternative means or location, and provide satisfactory explanation how payments will be handled under the alternative means or location you request.
- Amendment: You have the right to request that we amend your health information. (Your request must be in writing, and it must explain why the information should be amended.) We may deny your request under certain circumstances.
- Security: In the event of a breach of unsecured protected health information, you have the right to be notified immediately.
- Electronic Notice: If you receive this Notice on our Web site or by electronic mail(e-mail), you are entitled to receive this Notice in written form.
QUESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS
If you are concerned that we may have violated your privacy rights, or you disagree with a decision we made about access to your health information or in response to a request you made to amend or restrict the use or disclosure of your health information or to have us communicate with you by alternative means or at alternative locations, You may complain to us using the contact information listed at the end of this Notice. You also may submit a written complaint to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. We will not retaliate in any way if you choose to file a complaint with us or with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
DATA WE COLLECT
We may collect and process your personal data of the following categories and example of each category:
- Identity Data: Identity Data includes personal data about you and your identity, such as your name, and date of birth.
- Contact Data: Contact Data includes personal data about your contact information, such as your phone number, physical address, mailing address, and email address.
- Healthcare Data: Healthcare Data includes personal data about your health care information, such as insurance information and relevant medical history.
- Log Data: Log Data includes to your information related to your device, browser, or application, such as internet protocol (“IP”) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider (“ISP”), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
- Appointment & Account Support: We may use Identity Data, Contact Data, and Healthcare Data directly integrated with WordPress-CRM provided by a third-party provider, Dr. Daniel M. Bade DDS. We may also use Identity Data, Contact Data, and Healthcare Data when we provide account support service to you during our communication and website chat.
- Tracking Technologies: If you wish to disable Cookies or wish to manage when you accept Cookies in general, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers’ respective websites. You are not required to accept our Cookies. You may not be able to use all of the features and functionality if you set your browser to reject Cookies.
We only retain information and data as long as it remains relevant to its purpose in our discretion. We automatically delete any data that we no longer have any use for as decided in our discretion.
At Fleming Family Dentistry & Aesthetics, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme importance to us. While we cannot guarantee perfect safety of your personal data, we take reasonable administrative, technical, and procedural security measures to protect your personal data
If you have any questions regarding our privacy practices, our data practices, or our compliance with applicable law, please contact us.